View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #18
SuperDuty2
Established Member

M.O.C. #9742
Always an interesting group to ask about tires. Some very useful information here as well, checking tire pressure and perhaps getting a monitor system
My Montana came with some nice looking Goodyear tires. After four years and only a couple thousand miles I thought they were ready for a road trip south i checked the air pressure and had the wheel bearings re packed and i was ready only a hundred miles into the trip one tire blew. No biggie just put on the spare. Another 80 miles and a second one blew. Another 150 miles and a third one blew and tok off the side of the Montana before I could get stopped. We called for soem road service again and get a fella from Knoxville to come out and help us. He said he called back and they hace more of the same size tires so I went there to his shop and made sure i had four new tires Luckily all the blow outs were on the same side. They were a Chinese Goodyear tire that was very soft and flexible with out a wheel and leaning on the tire it collapsed and folded right up with just my weight on it. being that I was at a Goodyear store I got their best tire and so far I can see the load range is higher and the tire itself, before mounting, was much stronger. So after a couple thousand in repairs to the camper and being without the camper for a few months I would suggest a couple things that I learned. As the folks here have suggested monitor our air pressure and be sure the tie is inflated. Adding air after a stay is pretty easy but you may not find some nitrogen to add, I stick with air but as you and others suggested, nitrogen doesn't usually leak out as quickly. I should have checked out the tires that came with my Monty and replaced them earlier it was much more expensive doing it while on a road trip. Also nothing like a name brand made in USA heavy duty tire. Most recommend you keep the speed at 65 and that's a great idea if you can. Please keep us posted on your tires I will be curious as to how it goes for you.
SuperDuty2 is offline   Reply With Quote