Thread: Winterizing
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Just did my winterizing yesterday and I also will be going back this week and put mothballs all over the ground under the unit! I've had mine stored at a cabin in the middle of an open hay field for the past two years and the mothballs do work for me! As stated, I take all our foodstuffs out of the unit and replace them with some dryer sheets scattered throughout the unit in, under and around as much as I can. I also put the "sticky traps" in the basement of the unit but have never caught anything or had any problems there. We do leave our bedding, towels and some clothing in the unit and have never had any problem with those "pesky little meeses!" Some plug in electronic units inside but since mine is not plugged in unless I go down and open it up to check things out, I can't use the electronic units. I remove the battery and take it to the stick and keep it inside out of the cold and even put a trickle charger on it at times to keep it up! I also remove all batteries from anything that uses them-- like flashlights, the clock, radios and etc. I replace them with fresh ones when we restock it again. We don't leave any windows or vents open sinc we also get the white stuff and it normally is blowing when we get it and don't want to open the unit up and find a 4 ft. drift of snow in the living room! As some will tell you the easiest way is just to head south till you don't have any cold weather and set up camp there till it warms back up in your home area! We want to do this but with a new grandson that is about three months old and living in Omaha, we are sticking around to see the little guy grow up some before we head out for the snowbird deal! If you do a search on winterizing on the search engine above, you will find other tips also. Sounds like you have everything pretty well covered however! Good luck and enjoy the winter season!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote