View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #47
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Thank you for posting your weights Allen, I will be very interested in seeing how they compare to mine when I am able to get the unit to the scales.

Perhaps some of us worry about weights too much. Without a doubt you are exceeding the GVWR of your TV by 1600 lbs, although you appear to be ok on the trailer. Your numbers now work out to a pin weight of 3340 lbs, that seems a little excessive, but obviously indicates the way the unit is loaded.

The long and short of it is that as I suggested in a previous post, I think there are a whole lot of travelers exceeding their GVWR. Since you have had no problems and are comfortable with this, then you are the one to make the decision as to how to deal with it. Keep in mind overloading adds to the possibility of other potential problems ie: handling, tire life and so on.

My concern here in Canada is the possibility of getting stopped and scaled in a mobile set up. Of even more concern is the legal aspect and the possibility that if I were to be involved in a serious accident and possibility of some sharp lawyer pursuing the issue of my being overweight.

In the end I may find I am over my “legal” limits as well, how will I handle that, I don’t know until I am faced with it, I will know in a couple of weeks.

Richfaa you could be completely correct in your assessment of the rules in the US, however I would still be concerned if involved in a major accident in the US with respect to the lawyers.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote