View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Thanks all for your response. As usual I learned far more than I wanted as I investigated this subject. Here is what I learned for what it is worth. Sometime around 1995 both dometic and norcold started using thinner tubing in their evaporators. After 6 or 7 years they started developing leaks right at the boiler. Exactly where mine did. This is the issue that prompted the recall 4 or 5 years ago many of us were involved in. The recall did not fix the problem but put a safety in place that when the leak got bad enough it would shut off the 12volt supply to the unit thus reducing the chance of a fire. It basically just added a thermal shut off switch and a piece of sheetmetal to act as a flame block. I also was told the more the unit was used the less likely it was to fail because the solution was always moving inside the evaporator rather than just sitting in one place. RV Cooling Warehouse partnered with a company in Shipshawana(SP) Indiana who was already building cooling units for residential and commercial refrigiration and got them to start referbishing these old units. Sometime later they developed a new improved unit with thicker wall tubing and some other enhancements that make the unit cool faster and last longer. (At least we hope it does both) Anyway after exploring a 110 volt residential unit it was going to cost about $450 and require some cabinet modifications that will never look original. (at least not if I'm doing it) The remanufactured unit was going to cost $525 ($425 after returning the coil) and would still be the thin wall tubing. I opted for the new cooliing unit like Mike suggested for $685 delivered to my door. Charlie you absolutely right a mastec is required to bond the tubing to the wall and fins of the box and is furnished with the new unit. Took about an hour to get the fridge out of the 5'er and about 1.5 hours to remove the old evaporator unit from the fridge. Would have gone faster but I stopped to take lots of pictures and notes to be used for the reassembly. Just ordered the unit and it will be here Tuesday. I'll update you then with the progress and hopefully the completed project. Jim
P.S. Sure beats $1500 for a new dometic!