View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 09:48 PM   #16
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
First I will say I am not PO’d.

But I will say you do in fact have the POTENTIAL of 100 amps. It is possible to draw up to 50 amps on hot leg 1. And simultaneously draw up to 50 amps on hot leg 2. And not trip the breaker. So with a perfectly balanced loading where half your devices are drawing from hot leg 1 and the other half are drawing from hot leg 2, you can in fact draw a COMBINED total of up to 100 amps, 12,000 watts power, at 120 vac.

And interestingly enough, at a perfectly balanced load on the two hot legs there would be no current flow thru the neutral wire.
On the last statement, absolutely affirmative. That's why 240 volt motors, stoves, etc. don't have a neutral per se, just a ground (bonding) wire. But I still have to disagree on the first part, you can not get a combined total of 100 amps or the 12,000 watts, as in order to do that, you would have to be able to "combine" the two 50 amp circuits into one, which would result in a "dead short" situation. In reality, the maximum you can pull on the circuit is 50 amps or 6000 watts per leg (circuit). Ohms law is volts times amps equals watts. To properly do a 50 amp RV service with a generator, you would need a gen-set that is capable of putting out the 240 volts (120 each leg) to run it. It is sometimes tough to get the facts across in a forum, I'll agree.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW