View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #11
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
amps/watts

[QUOTE=kowbra;1226896]Basic (really basic) tutorial...
Volts x Amps (amperage) = Watts

50 amp RV circuits are actually 50 amps @ 240 volts, split into dual 50 amp x 120 volt legs. So, the total amps at 120 volts is 100 amps (not 50). That is why it is correct to say that a 50 amp circuit delivers a total of 12,000 watts (100a x 120v).

Ok, the above is a bit simplistic, but hopefully that is the level of information you were looking for.

Well, I will probably PO a few people, but you do NOT have a total of 100 amps, only 50 amps, available on each leg. Look at the breaker, it is not a 100 amp breaker, it's two 50's. Won't get into the aspects of alternating current at this point. The thing about RV's is they do NOT (as a rule, there are always exceptions) have anything in them that runs on 240 volts, unlike your stick house. The main panel is split into two segments of 120 volt feeds, of 50 amps for each feed. If you were to install something that required 240 volts, you would still only have 50 amps available for it. The manufacturers try to balance the panel out on loads. Don't want 40 amps on one lead and only 10 amps on the other! If you have two AC's they should each be on a separate leg. You would be surprised at how fast the loads add up today. Microwave, AC's, fireplace(s), and don't forget the wife's hair dryer (mine DW is 1800 watts) hot plates, toasters, coffee makers, the converter (which can pull up to 15 amps) and on and on. Regarding a generator, you would need a minimum of 6000 watts, and that is bare minimum. Especially for AC's, it's the "surge" (starting) watts that get a generator down. If you are careful, you CAN manipulate the loads so that you can get by with the smaller unit, but it will never be like your house, at least not while on a generator. And yes, I was a licensed electrician prior to retirement.

2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW