View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 03:41 AM   #11
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

I kept digging into the humming noise under the stairs and found it coming from the generator automatic transfer switch. So it's not the power control panel and converter. I don't even have a generator, the rig is just set-up for one. Any idea what to do to make the humming stop?
Yes, but you most likely will not like the answer. Your transfer switch when you plug into power benergizes a AC coil that is that moves contacts that allow power into the camper. When you run a generator, another relay (electic magnetic switch ) will energize and allow power from the generator into the camper. Keystone uses a transfer switch which uses AC to energize the magnetic coils. I bought one like Keystone uses to install in my camper to allow my generators to plug into a another power inlet I installed in the front of my camper. Didn't do my research first and made assumption that Keystone knew what they were doing. The unit they use is a cheaper unit and works well but is noisy. You will not noticed it with the generators but when plugged in at the campsite different story.

The first transfer switch which worked well cost me around $100 dollars. Gave it away to a friend that now uses it in his RV and does not mind the noise. Bought my second transfer switch for $239.40 from RV power parts plus. It is a 50 amp transfer switch made by Intellitec which uses DC coils to do the switching and has it configured that the power from the line runs through contacts that are normally closed thereby passing the current directly through to the camper. When you start the generators the DC relays activate and switch to generator power after a brief delay allowing the generators to stabilize. Even with the generators this switch is silent.

The problem with the switch that Keystone uses, is it requires one AC relay to be energized to allow power into the camper. This AC relay in a no power situation in normally open. It needs power to allow power into the camper. That is why you will here a click when you plug in if you are standing close to the switch you have now.

In my opinion, your options, one live with it ( I sure couldn't ) or replace it with one that uses different technology. My learning experience was a little costly.

Hope I was not to long winded with my response.

Jay
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote