View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #37
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
The lever that opens the jaws before you hookup has a way to lock that lever after you hookup. If that lever is not locked would that allow the pin to just slip out when a lot of lifting pressure is applied? Probably so, I guess that is why they put a locking device (pin) on that lever. I'm just thinking out loud. I did drop my trailer onto the bedrails once!
Boy do I agree with this one......in fact my truck is right now in the shop getting repaired. $8,838.74 damage to the truck rails. 3725 was not damage. Hitching up on labor day, got out to do my check looked around the back of the hitch and looked fine. Remembered something in the camper, and took care of that. Came out jumped in the truck and bang!!!!! Dropped on the rails. I knew exactly what I did......My story is that my wife is now disabled and she no longer can prepare the inside of our camper. So i do it all and do not mind. I am just happy to have her with me. Well I was mentally overloaded and forgot to check the indicator at the front of the hitch. I have always done this in the past, but forgot this one time and it happened.

I have been towing fifth wheels since 2000 and have logged just over 100,000 miles with campers in tow. My return trip home, and one mental mistake was an expensive one.

Check your hitch both front and back, take your time and for me now use a check list. My pride is hurt but insurance covered it and Amica considered it a comprehensive claim not collision. I was happy about that.

So it does happen and in my opinion it was not hitched correctly and the additional pressure caused the hitch to release. If the hitch shows some kind of damage from the pin being pulled from the hitch it will be easily seen. I doubt you will find anything.

Good luck and I know how you feel.
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote