View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 05:31 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
In 05 Ford came out with 18 " wheels on thier SRW F350s to go to the larger GVWR. My 05 F350 has an 11200 pound GVWR where my 04 was 9900. This made the tall Fords even a little taller and when you raise the front end even an inch, the back of the trailer goes down even more.
I love the built in step inside the door of the Montana and this keeps your door lower and gives you more awning clearance but it does make the entire 15 inch stairs hang completely below the frame of the Montana and this only gave me 6 " of clearance.

You don't always have a choice of ground clearances when you are backing a Fiver into a campspot and this low clearance is not something I want. Also, I live on Vancouver Island and must use Ferries to travel. If you get a low tide, you can run into clearance problems and many RVs have been damaged on the Ferries over the years. The newer Spirit Class Ferries on the Vancouver - Victoria run are much safer to use and I won't ever go on the Duke Point run because I have had several close calls being directed to pull my rig less than 6 inches from the side of the ship.
With the Spirit boats, you can run your tires against a steel curb and the sides of your Fiver are a long ways off the ship sides. Much better.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote