View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Carl n Susan... I'm betting you are one of those exceptions I was talking about.

Further, I would not put only 100 month into maintenance, more like 150-200.... The upfront cost would be the starting balance of any such investment "repair fund" plus the ongoing estimated cost added to an RV note if you financed it and then add the aforementioned 150-200. Plus, most people should have an accessible emergency fund (minimum 3months of expenses)... JUST IN CASE. Then there is your deductible for each and every trip to the shop for service. Extended service plan or extended warranty plan aside, you will still have maintenance items that would not be worthwhile to let a dealer touch due to inconvenience factors. Also, talking about inconvenience, that is an unknown cost in lifestyle or actual RV use... more important to FTers than weekend warriors or those with a S&B home base near wherever they get their RV serviced under warranty or extended warranty. How do you calculate that cost?

Like I said, for most people self insuring is the most economical route but like anything else financial you have to know yourself and your financial situation to determine the best course. Congrats on your good luck with your choice, it certainly worked out for you on the money side of the coin.

my 2 cents.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote