View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Roof replacement

My list of spring repairs/upgrade to our camper has included a fair amount of regular maintenance coupled with some upgrades and major repairs. I have finally made it to the penultimate task on my list of repairs having completed some carpet removal and replacement and most of my maintenance tasks. The task at hand is repairing/replacing the roof membrane. In my world this is a multi step process. We contemplated changing the EPDM but after a lot of thought we decided that our EPDM is in good structural shape it is just getting old and worn ie it is more grey than white. So instead of striping the EPDM we decided to go with a coating process. We priced out RV Armor and though the product is great we decided to go with the DIY version made by the same owner of RV Armor that is called Crazy Seal. Crazy seal is a silicone based product consisting of a caulk, mastic, and a sealer. You can find more info about it at crazyseal.com. Just for clarity I was not paid for this write up nor did I receive any special pricing or to sway my opinion.

To start the roof I ordered a new skylights, ac gaskets, a new maxxfan for our bedroom which currently just has a vent, some new plumbing vents, a new fridge vent, an new king jack antenna to replace a wingard batwing, and the crazy seal kit. Before the install of the crazy seal I need to address a few items. First we have a winegard travler satalite dish on the roof that we no longer use that I am going to remove. That’s what this post will center on, then as the project is completed I will update this with my thoughts and trials of completing the roof project.

The sat dish is a bit of a pain, heavy has lots of pinch points and I did not do the install. Pretty simple to remove it take out a million screws, lift the heavy hunk of metal off the roof after disconnecting the wires that run into the RV and then remove the wires from the RV.

Well that’s where I hit the first snag. The guy who installed the antenna must have loved a 1.5” hole saw. The cap right in front of the termination bar looked like Swiss cheese under the wingard wire cap. (Picture attached) so i cleaned the holes up to make one hole that’s kind of rectangular and decided to pull out some fiberglass. I placed a backer into the whole and slowly build up the layers with fiber glass mat and resin. The final pre sanded patch looks pretty good and I won’t have to paint over it because the crazy seal will go right over the repair.

Tomorrow I will remove the AC units for service while the unit is parked in the pole barn. And begin removing the existing skylight. Then it’s time to cut an H shape into the Epdm and peel it back to replace one board that is slightly soft where the wingard batwing is installed. Then I’ll reseal the existing EPDM to the new roof deck and continue on with the crazy seal install. Should be a fun project. After than I just have disc brake install and replacing some j skirting on my check off list and my 2011 3750fl will be good for another 10 years.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as I work through this process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1DAB3D7-B730-4DA4-9FBF-EFA10DF6308F.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	6483   Click image for larger version

Name:	D9DC127D-F9FC-4004-82C6-63E780A58894.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	6484   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3F16A58-FDA8-43E1-AFD9-A2D924F493AD.jpg
Views:	64