View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, JennyKraig! Nice unit you have there. The 2007 models (and maybe the 2006's) were tested to not freeze the water lines down to zero degrees, per the online brochure available on the Montana website. Our 2003 model was tested to 28 and did freeze at 22 and below until I did a bunch of insulating. Now it will get to zero.

The key is to make sure the furnace runs occasionally. There is a 2 inch furnace duct into the belly that keeps the tanks from freezing. The water lines in the new one are within the floor framing, above the belly, where it is warmer and I understand they are insulated. If you keep the furnace running you should be fine.

We do not have dual pane windows. So for winter we get the 3M (or other brand) outdoor window film and put it over the windows. It makes a huge difference on interior comfort during cold windy days. We dress as we would in our stick home in the winter and have remained very comfortable all three winters we have done this. We've had temperatures to 5 below and 10 days at a stretch with a highest temperature of 14 with most of those days never getting out of single digits. With a little preparation you will be fine.

I had opportunity last winter to open the belly in very cold weather. I, and the rv mobile service guy, were very impressed with the amount of heat in the belly.

We don't skirt ours but may use a heavy clear plastic film we can toss in the trash when we pull out for warmer weather after Christmas. I know Harbor Freight has it at a relatively inexpensive price. The biggest advantage I can see for skirting the new Montanas is to help keep the floor warmer, especially in the overhang area where there is no belly to insulate it.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote