Thread: Reloading
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Long range shooting is all preparation. Your deer gun 270, 30 06 or 30 mag won’t work. At 1000 yards you run out or scope adjustment and shoot way under the target. For 1000 yard shooting you need 20 MOA built in the scope base. A chronograph to check velocity is a must. A 3 inch wide stock, along with a scope level, a wind meter and it’s nice to be able to video your shots.
My friend who shot the prairie dog was shooting a 300 Remington Ultra Mag, 32 inch barrel custom receiver, 32 power Nightforce Scope. That is almost like my groundhog rifle. Mine has a 25 inch barrel custom receiver 32 power Nightforce scope it was a 6X47. That is a 1 3/4 inch long cartage. His rifle had 60 MOA bases.
It took him all summer to bag a prairie dog at 2157 yards. He lived in Green River Wy. He would go out early before the wind started to pickup. He had several dog dens he had put flags at and knew the distance to each one. 5 yards makes a big difference. When one came out he judged the wind made the correction by adjusting his scope. He would fire a shot and get back in the scope before the bullet landed. He would be several feet to several yards off. These scopes have several cross hairs for windage and elevation. Then you make the correction and shoot again before conditions change. Finally he got his prairie dog. He found the 240 grain Burger VLD bullet on the den just like it came out the rifle with the groves in it but with almost no damage. He had the prairie dog mounted with the bullet in his mouth.
If you wish to see the equipment and the story Google, groundhog hunting in Virginia with Lynwood Harrell. I didn’t post this and didn’t know about it for several years until a customer told me about it.
Long range hunting is a fun sport but you are going to miss a lot more times than you hit. 500 yards is a chip shot.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote