Thread: Air Card
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A couple of thoughts/suggestions/ramblings....

The Verizon UM150 aircard is the original and still works terrific (we have one). It has an external antenna adapter port. Verizon keeps offering me a new improved aircard for free but it means giving up my unlimited download plan. Even though I don't use more than 5 gigs in a month, it isn't going to happen as long as the UM150 continues to work.

Before buying an aircard from E-Bay, Craigslist, some guy on a corner, etc. check with Verizon that the card is "unemcumbered" and can be activated. You don't want to buy a card that has outstanding fees, penalties, or other Verizon associated problems with it.

Verizon only offers the "on/off" program for the "tethered" cell phone. The aircard is always "on" and running up the $$$ meter.

The "tethered" cell phone is fine for intermittent use. While in "data" mode, it can't be used for "voice" communications.

I am not sure you can connect a MBR 1000 to a tethered phone. I haven't read of anyone doing that. Of course most users of tethering are infrequent data users and unlikely to have a wireless router. I think Howard and Linda looked at a tethered phone this summer when they couldn't get their satellite to work (too many trees). Maybe they have some information that would help.

I highly recommend a call to EVDOALex!!!! Even though the 3G Store is having a disagreement with Verizon, they sell the MBR 1000 and the adapter cables to connect aircards/cellphones to it. Plus they have a ton of knowledge. If you wait until Wednesday or later in the week (Monday-Tuesday are really busy days), Alex usually will go through all of your options (maybe even some we are not aware of).

The other option, until Roxanne's AT&T contract expires, is to park close to Robbie, Dennis, Steve or me.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote