View Single Post
Old 08-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have the $60 unlimited data srvice from Alltel. Alltel has struck an agreement with Verizon and they now share all towers in the US. That's probably why they have priced this service with the identical $59.99/mo.

I wrangled a deal with Alltel to replace my Moto 710 with a new Moto E815 on an insurance claim, knowing full well that the E815 doubled as an EVDO aircard (V710 did not). Because of this I can turn this $60/mo service on and off at will (I did not have to buy any aircard, so I have NO CONTRACT), depending if we are in a WiFi situation of not. Currently not. So we have the service turned on. I had a cable, but had problems with it. I had bought a cheap bluetooth antenna a few months back at Walmart. I was able to get that to work with the dialup software from Alltel. The Alltel office mgr loaded Alltel software on my laptop for free after my third trip into Traverse City with this cable issue and generic software.

Works great! No wires! Running about 109-115 kbps here at this CG. Bluetooth connected to my cell phone. Some areas will be faster, but we really prefer WiFi. We can even turn it off in the middle of a billing cycle and only have to pay for that partial month.

SUGGESTION: If you are think of buying an aircard, pay the FULL RETAIL PRICE. These cards are only running $189-$298 right now. This keeps you away from a contract and allows you to turn the service on and off at will as you travel. I was told I should not have to pay an activation fee when doing this, but I want to double check on this. Still cheaper though.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote