View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 05:28 PM   #7
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Thanks Daryles, great article. I read several before embarking on this project. I also talked to Matt at Future Sales. He said that each solar controller does not care what the others are doing so treat each controller configuration independently and you will be OK.

Basically, I believe you should not mix panel manufacturers on one controller, hence I used all Renogy panels for my upgrades. When it came to mixing series and parallel for the four panel string, I called Renogy and confirmed that two in parallel and the rest in series would be OK and this solved my overvoltage issue. I am now a firm believer in series wiring vs parallel to reduce the amps in the feed lines (see my other post on this subject). These are long runs if you include the interconnecting panel wiring so reducing the amps is the right way to go (but you need the right controllers to handle the higher voltage).

Jonathan, I agree with Brad that Matt will be your best resource. I think the Jaboni controllers are undersized for 600 watts of panels. They are rated for only 30 amps output and 600 watts charging at 13.5 volts is well over 40 amps. My very first problem with the SSF package was tripping the 30 amp breaker on one of the Jaboni controller output lines. The Victron Energy 100/50 controllers are rated for up to 100 volts input and can output up to 50 amps. It is sunny here in the Carolinas! Good luck...

Best Regards, Mike
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote