View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #1
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
Super Duper Solar Flex - SSF Upgrades Complete!!

Hello Solar Fans!

I have finally completed the upgrades to my SSF system and am really happy with the final result. I have added a total of 1200 watts of Renogy solar panels for a total of 2400 watts on the roof, doubling my production ability. As you can see in the picture I have used nearly all the available roof space but can still walk around.

I have added two Victron Energy 100/50 controllers to the two I had for the factory panels. One is connected to three 200 watt panels wired in series. The second is connected to two 200 watt panels and two 100 watt panels. I first wired all 4 of these in series but got an overvoltage error from the controller. So I had to wire the two 100 watt panels in parallel and then wire those to the two 200 watt panels in series. This is just like having three 200 watt panels in series, and no more overvoltage error.

I have also added two more BattleBorn GameChanger 270 A-Hr batteries to my system for a total of 1050 A-Hr, effectively doubling my storage capacity to match the new production ability. I decided to mount these all the way in the back under the couch against the back wall as I did not want to add any more weight up front (especially after installing a washer/dryer set). I ran 25 ft of 4/0 welding cable from the new batteries back to the SSF box. For safety, I added a 200 amp fuse at each end of the hot wire in case it should ever chafe through riding in the under belly.

Lastly, I have removed the Jaboni display panel since it is no longer used and installed a 5" Raspberry Pi display for the R-Pi I have installed to monitor the solar system. I have plugged in all four of my Victron controllers and battery monitor into the R-Pi. It uploads the data to Victron's VRM site every five minutes and I like this display much better as well.

I am looking forward to testing this new setup while boondocking again soon. On a sunny day, I expect to be able to run one A/C unit almost all day long without draining the batteries. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best, Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4180r.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	12812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4173r.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	748.2 KB
ID:	12813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4188r.jpg