View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 09:41 AM   #45
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Pictures are available on my PictureTrail site. Just click on link below and go to album entitled "Shackles". I've added another shot showing the damage to the shackles.

NJHillbilly,
We simply removed the shackles and equalizer and took them to a little brake and wheel shop. They knew immediately what part to get. Said they get a lot of requests for such things. Apparently from all makes of trailers. Got a kit for replacement. List was around $200. Got complete replacement for $150. They had the old style stuff if I wanted but that seemed silly. So got the better stuff. By the way the replacement stuff made by Dexter! If you need exact parts number I think I still have the box. The part number on the instruction sheet is:

K71-448-00 for tandem axles w/4" high equalizer --- K71-449-00 for tandem axles w/35" axle spacing

As indicated these are Dexter. If you need phone numbers let me know. The sheet has several different locations listed.

Steve,
It is very difficult to see the damage. You cannot see the bushing damage until you remove the shackle and bolt. Of course once you get the bolt out you can see all damage. He could tell that they were wearing just by looking but he did have to get right up to them and look very closely. Of course once you see even one you know you must change them all!

Steve I talked with my brother again and he said you really have to be in just the right position to see the damage. He feels very strongly that everyone who has the same setup as I have to CHANGE them ASAP to the heavy duty stuff.

We also replaced all the brakes. One was actually cracked. It looked almost like it had shattered. All the rest looked fair. One looked as if it had gotten really hot.

The new heavy duty shackle sets should work well and last just about forever. It's nice to have the grease zerks on the new ones. That may even help reduce some of creaks and groans from that area.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote