View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Looks like what you made will do the trick, be sure to examine those small pieces as there are fragments of irons out there or at least on the north side of the tracks, the bigger ones you will find are stonies as we call them, they are getting harder to find but they are out there, just last year i saw a couple in the 600-700 gram size. The farther north you go towards the base of the hills I think is better as most folks don't have a quad and don't want to walk that far, both side of the highway have been pounded but are still being found.
With a metal detector you want to use the all metal mode if possible or the least amount of discrimination your detector will give you. That area was a firing range for Pattion I believe and detectors find all those 30 and 50 cal rounds as well as belt links. Lots of fun hunting meteorites. The other place we hunt is way north of Frankonia at Gold Basin which are mostly stonie irons. You will usually find a few of these for sale on E-Bay.
You will find alot of iron rocks or hot rocks but that goes with the game, if in dought of what it is hang on to it till someone tells you what it is. Lots of fun and good exercise.
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote