View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #24
sberlin
Established Member

M.O.C. #22049
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpopgun View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm a new Montana owner (3230ck) as well as a new Ram 3500 (SRW, Crew, 6'4" bed, Cummins HO and Aisin) owner. Andersen Ultimate hitch with the adapter block towards the cab to provide a little more room for the nose.

I came from a 35' tow behind and now have the 3230ck as my 1st fifth wheel. Guess I was expecting a HUGE difference in overall stability and ease of pulling. So far, well it isn't meeting expectations but I think it can be addressed.

Issue: Pulling down the road, any road, there is this constant back and forth push/pull down through the center of the truck from nose to tail. It really actually feels like a slight (but constant) misfire or like when you're running out of gas and there is that back and forth as you have power, lose it then regain, repeat. It doesn't feel like the porpoising I had when my WDH setup wasn't dialed in correctly or when tongue heavy for the suspension (fixed on my last truck with Sumo's).

What the heck is causing this? Only think I can think of is maybe I'm flexing the suspension just enough to feel sort of like a micro-porpoising? Trailer pivots on axles vertically at nose and tail. When nose goes down it's actually a down and back sort of angle and "pulls" the truck back. It then rises back to top dead center where the goose ball stops the motion in which case good ole equal and opposite reaction then forces it back down? Seems possible and crazy at the same time to me.

Any feedback on what might cause and more importantly FIX this issue? Didn't think I'd have any issues like this going with a 3500 and a trailer in this weight class. If it's a suspension thing am I simply looking at Sumo's, Timbrens or Bags to resolve?

Haven't made the time to do proper weighing, but here's what I have when running back from camping last weekend and running across the public scales.

Truck alone (different scale so I need to vet this)
Front: 4475lbs
Rear: 2575lbs

Truck with trailer attached
Truck Front: 5150
Truck Rear: 6700
Trailer: 11,350

Sticker info
Truck
GAWR Front: 6000
GAWR Rear: 7000
GVWR: 11,800 (I suppose this means I am 50lbs overweight?)
Combined weight occupants and cargo: 3718 (yellow sticker)

Trailer
Unloaded weight: 13,000
GVWR: 16,680
GAWR (each): 7000
Total newbies in RV world and got 3701LK in 2018 w AUH and towing w 3500HD GMC SRW shortbed. Drove 2yrs not knowing we needed lockout bars and now have them and don’t notice a lot of difference. Also have air bags. Have always had chucking and understand that’s just the norm. Recently got a new bed cover so raised the AUH ball to the 2nd notch and so far appears to be a smoother ride. Still chucking but not as much.
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote