View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #20
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post

Turns are one thing, but also you have to think 3 dimensionally. Overhead wires, branches and bridges are much more impactful than an uninvolved observer might think.

It was mentioned in a previous post about checking/knowing your height, and while that's important, that statement misses the "think 3 dimensionally" aspect. That's a great phrase!

Once you know the number for your overall height, it's super easy to figure out if you can go under a bridge or not. But, I've never been on road, highway, or interstate that marks the heights of trees! It's important then to develop an understanding of how high 13'4" is off the ground, and make that quick judgement call when you're approaching trees. When you see low hanging trees, do you swerve? Are they above 13'4", and you continue on? The unfortunate reality is that there will probably be times that trees get you. I know for us, when we take our 5er to our church camp, there's a spot that we can't avoid. The branches are small there, and we just take it slow, and try to find the spot where the trees are the highest. Not ideal, but at least I'm aware, and taking whatever precautions I can...