View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
This is all great advice, but I would take that even one step further.

You didn't indicate how much time / experience you have towing a trailer this long. It's one thing to tow a 10' garden trailer. It's something COMPLETELY different to tow a FIFTH wheel 40'+ long. The pivot point differences between these two setups coupled with the length, causes the fifth wheel to track behind you in an entirely different manner, especially when making turns.

My advice would be, hook on, and just drive around KNOWN areas locally to you. Areas that have BIG approaches at corners, and wide lanes, and just go out and practice making turns, especially right turns, but left turns too. Learn EXACTLY what your trailer does when you turn. Look at the rear view mirrors when turning, to see where the tires are and commit that to memory.

Also, you have to learn to back with mirrors now. Looking over your shoulder shows you nothing but a big wall. Go to a big empty parking lot somewhere, and just practice backing.

At the end of the day, the only way that you get better at this stuff is practice, and for a first time setup like yours, I think that local practice until you're somewhat comfortable is paramount before you hit the open trail.

Happy and safe travels!!! You've got this!
Great advice!

Here is the one thing I would add... a big issue when turning that can get missed is how far your backend will go in the opposite direction from your turn; and it's the part you cannot see in your mirrors, at all.
For example, imagine you are in the right lane and turning right at the lights. You are worried about clipping the curb with your wheels, so you've given yourself lots of room by being on the left side of the lane. But as you make that right turn, the left rear of your Montana will swing way to the left; perhaps even into the nearby lane.
I drove semi for years and never had to worry about this, as the axles are at the back of the trailer. But, to limit pin weight on pickups, the wheels on 5th wheels are placed way ahead of the rear bumper, which allows that back end to move so much. And that is a complete blind spot.

Because of the above, I am looking forward to seeing how well the sideview cameras of the Legacy package will help with this as they will give visibility to this former blind spot.

Anyway, I hope this helps and I totally agree with the advice to find a parking lot to practice. Maybe even take some safety cones to guide you. And, get a spotter and talk to them on the phone while you do these slow speed maneuvers, especially have them watch your blind spots.

5th wheels do tow amazingly stable and I think you will really enjoy it!

Brad