View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
Retired

M.O.C. #15972
John, retired myself in 2006 from the Army (COL). Sold the house and spent the next 23 months full timing with DW, 4 kids, 2 dogs. Bought a house, working again towards my 2nd retirement once the kids are all out of college. Advice given above all good. I'll double tap on the TPMS. Had one and it saved me on 3 occasions. Prior to not having one (and not full time), I had a blow out on our 32' trailer, $1,500 in damage. With TPMS, no damage, just had to change the tires. We also used military campground almost exclusively. We had a Hughes net dish, and dish network TV. Hughes net probably not as big an issue now with all the smart phone hot spots you can create, and RV parks with WiFi. We also brought along a weather radio to let us know about storms in the local area. Gave us a heads up on putting the awnings in, or seeking shelter in the event of a tornado.
If you get the itch to travel outside the USA, you may want to consider space A trips. We left the 5th wheel and dogs with my Dad (also a retired E9) and flew to Germany. My DW and I liked it so much we plan on packing warm and cold cloths and flying wherever the space A flights take us to see the world. Dad had a friend who did that for about 6 months out of the year for about 15 years. As a CMSgt you'll have access to VIP quarters wherever you land, and Hertz rental cars are available on every base. We used space available quarters while in Germany and never got caught short (as a retiree you can only reserve a room 24 hrs in advance and only for 3 days, but can renew for 3 more days on the 3rd day if still available).
Hope his helps, and enjoy your travels.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote