View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #10
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaC3500 View Post
We have a 2020 Montana 3811MS with about 15k miles on it. It has Made in China Sailun's on it, original from factory. Last week noticed inside left side of one tire is worn almost to the belt. Luckily we're sitting at the home place so had the spare put on and now are in the market for new tires.

There's so much tire advise and information, it's confusing and frustrating. My new-to-us trailer guy advised putting on a 10 ply/E rating. If I'm reading the sidewall right, the ones we have on now are 4 ply with 1 ply sidewall. He's not actually selling me the tires, just mounting them so he's not really in it for the money. He's also aligning it due to the tire wear. Is 10 ply overkill?

Brother told me to check into Michelin because he runs them on the front of his dump truck and has had more success with the brand than any other. He didn't know the history of Michelin trailer tires, though.

I keep reading about the Made in Vietnam/China Sailun's and not sure if I should look for the Chinese ones or go with a different brand? We're prepping for a 7 month trip and need to get something good on the Beast.

Appreciate advise from those more knowledgable about these things. I know enough to be dangerous.
Don't let anyone talk you into using tires with a 10 ply rating. They will not carry the load on you axles.

The Sailun tires you have are steel cased. The ply description on the tire sidewall tells you the sidewalls have a single ply of steel cording. The other 4 plies are belt plies. Your Sailun tires have a 14 ply rating. That corresponds with load range "G" tires.

The OE tires that came on your trailer are the minimum standard for your 7000# axles. There are built by at least a dozen trailer tire manufacturers bu in that load range and designated size, (ST235/80R16 LRG) and on your trailer they must be inflated to 110 PSI.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote