View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #13
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by krvk

Hope you checked your frame for damage. We were just at a Fairbanks CG and there was a Cardinal there and he had had left his step down (not sure what he hit), he took it to an RV dealer and they called his insurance co. and said they would not sign a release for him to drive it off the lot because the main frame was busted, so he was waiting for a new rig to come in.
Thanks for the tip about checking the frame. The plates that bolt the stairs on are 1/8inch cold rolled steel. The rear plate was bent 1/4 of an inch at the front. There was no damage to the square tubing on the left nor right. I did inspect the area. But I did not magaflux the steel of the frame. I can not see how the frame of the camper could of been damaged in this instance.

The guy with the cardinal must of suffered a high speed impact of some sort. The forces required to damage the frame are not what "I" experienced during my episode.

I am familiar with metal fatigue and have seen stress fractures in all types of material. I have done my share of welding (not on the Monty [yet]). My 150' antenna rides around on railroad tracks and has wheel bearings that are almost the size of our tires. This upcoming week we are doing annual inspection alignment and service on two wheels. Its a small facility and sometimes ya have tah get a little grease under the fingernails. It takes two 100ton jacks (only loaded to 50ton though) to raise the wheel for service.

I think I'll be taking a couple of weeks off around the rally. I think a stop in Hershey PA along the way might be good. Matthew said he might want to go for a few days not necessarily for the rally. He's talking of probably flying back to Manchester NH so he won't have to use all his vacation. We haven't actually worked out the logistics yet.

I hope everyone around here is healthy to be able to make the trip.

I'm looking forward to see the people we have met in the past and all the new people and faces that we have yet to meet.

Safe travels and great adventures.