View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #29
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
This is not the first time this subject has come up.

There are definite advantages to the extended range between fuel stops having more fuel onboard would give you. ie, not having to plan your trip around a Pilot/Flying J every 200 miles; getting the best fuel price; taking a driving/potty break when ever you want; etc.

In the end though, you are still buying the same amount of fuel. A 1000 mile trip, at 10 mpg, will consume 100 gallons of fuel. Whether you carry all of it at one time, or buy 25 gallons at a time, it is still 100 gallons. The only real difference would be the overall price you pay for that same 100 gallons.

Think about the cost of the aux/transfer tank. Maybe $2000 (depending on volume) with plumbing, accessories and install. How long will it take before it pays for itself ? Lets say you are able to buy fuel where you want at a $.20/gal savings. For your 100 gallon full up, you save $20.00. At that same savings, it would take 100 fill ups, or 10000 gallons, to match your initial $2000 investment. Using the same 10 mpg in the previous paragraph, that is 100,000 miles of travel. Personally, it would take me at least 7 years of driving before that tank would pay for itself.

Another concern is weight. Its not just the added fuel weight, there is also the weight of the tank, plumbing and accessories. When you are not towing, that extra 500 - 700 lbs is not a concern. Add your pin weight and everything else you might carry in your truck while towing and you may have a GVWR problem. Someone stated they were over their GVWR but not their axle rating. They are still over the rating for your truck regardless.

If I were so inclined to carry more fuel, I would go with a factory replacement tank from maybe Titan. The replacement tank weighs less than the stock tank and in my case, going from 39 gallons to 70 gallons, I would gain about 200 lbs. That's a manageable weight. It would still take me 7 years to pay for itself.

Some people don't care about $$$$
Some people don't care about GVWR or Cargo Capacity
Some people just want what they want and that's ok

Just food for thought.
Jerry,

In my mind $ has little to do with this decision. Its about convenience.

I would much rather fuel up without the rig attached.

I hunt in an area where the nearest fuel is over 100 miles. I want to have the ability to get around a week without going 200 miles round trip for more fuel.

If it was all about savings we would never put radios, air conditioning, nav systems or any of the other convenience options in our trucks.

I do agree you can go overboard and add too much with the associated weight and bed space penalties. Thats why I replaced my stock 26 gal tank with a 50 gal Titan.

As a retired sailor, I will always respect the Chief's opinion.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote