View Single Post
Old 02-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #5
KausalityKid
Established Member

M.O.C. #30392
So, I asked myself why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Sorry for your situation. First, what are you trying to run and for how long? The first step I recommend to anyone is to install (or have installed) a smart shunt (battery monitor). This will tell you how many amps you are drawing and daily usage. Your solar port will take portable solar panels with built in solar charge controller. But, until you know and can articulate what you want to accomplish, no one will be able to help. I can tell you that with an RV fridge, sat TV, using microwave, brewing coffee, charging devices and lights, our 1200 watts of solar and 540 ah of lithium batteries is almost perfect. We also have a smart BIM DC-DC charging system between the truck and batteries. Hope this gives you some info.

I believe that is the first question that I need to ask myself. There are several reasons.
  • The first would be for boon-docking. If all is right with the world I may find myself in some remote places and relying on my generators will not suffice because fuel might not be nearby, and fuel is expensive.
  • Then there is my carbon footprint. While I know mine is small, it's like voting. How could mine make a difference? That's a wrong way of looking at it. I wouldn't expect to depend on solar 24/7, but to have it when I need it is better than not. Similar to a weapon for self defense.
  • Also, I wouldn't want to depend on generators because they do breakdown.
  • Now, if all is not right with the world I could find myself boon-docking simply because there is no fuel to be had. In that case solar would be a Godsend. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but we live in interesting times. No nation state has ever stood the test of time, not a single one. I am not this hard core survivalist, but consider myself a suburban prepper.
KausalityKid is offline   Reply With Quote