Thread: Speed Brake
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #42
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes TAKPAK, exactly my feelings, AND you describe my experience exactly, but my manual says not to go past the midpoint of the Tachometer (which is 2500). I do go about 45-55 mph down a long hill and get to 3000 but check your book. It probably has a limitation for the RPMs and you are probably exceeding it.

Between you and me a diesel is tougher than they document and it should not be a problem for short periods of time, but how short is short. Unlike an owner's manual for a gasoline vehicle which states unequivocally not to exceed a certain RPM, the diesel manual says you "should not" exceed the RPMs "for very long". There are two different recommendations and the diesel one is unclear.

Another thing. If you talked to your dealer about any mods, I am sure they will not honor your warranty if there is a problem. These include, exhaust pipes, improved turbo instakes, after market air cleaners, air bags, diesel programmers, or any other engine, tranny or suspension enhancement.

I would not mention your story to a dealer if you have a problem. They'll probably give you an invoice under the you exceeded the RPMs story. I'd be interested in what your manual says is the maximum RPMs. It was well hidden in my owner's manual but I did find it. The manual is full of nebulus information.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote