View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Welcome to the MOC!

I always chock the tires. We have a lever action chock that goes between the two tires on each side. That will get rid of some motion. We actually chock the tires before, or immediately after, disconnecting the tow vehicle. It doesn't just stop the rocking, it's for extra safety.

After leveling the rig, we put down the rear stabilizers, just snug. As for the kingpin, if we'll be somewhere for more than a day or two, I will put out our bipod. We put it on the pin and crank on the chain that connects the two legs at the bottom until it is tight. That snugs the top of the bipod on the pin, but doesn't move the rig.
Doing this, we get very little motion...even though I'm a big guy and we travel with two 70 pound dogs.

One thing I am worried about, based on your mention of the "front door doesn't seem to want to close as easy", is that you may be putting too much stress on the chassis. By putting so much weight on the tripod and cranking down the rear stabilizers beyond snug, you may be taking too much weight off the axles and causing the chassis to bow in the middle.

The rear stabilizers are only stabilizers and are not meant to take weight off of the wheels. In fact, one MOC member posted about their stabilizers actually bending in the middle.

Also, by lowering the weight of the rig onto the tripod, you may be taking the weight off of the front jacks, which may actually increase rocking and be unstable.

This is just my 2 cents. I'm sure other members will throw out their opinions.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote