Thread: Grease or not
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I feel so strongly about this topic that I'll repost what I submitted last November .............
I've been a maintenance mechanic most of my life. I've dealt with all kinds of auto greasers and lubrication systems whether they be mechanical, pneumatic, or electrically pumped. I've got a pretty strong opinion of the EZ Lube systems ... they're a monumental waste of effort to equip them on your trailer axles. They're a spinoff of the spring loaded "Bearing Buddies" that do somewhat work on boat trailers. I so do wish someone would make a clear plastic simulated EZ Lube bearing housing so you could see just how it doesn't work. When you pump grease in the center of your spindle, it is supposed to travel all the way behind the inner bearing inbetween it and the axle seal ... then work its way thru the rear bearing and on forward to the outer bearing. It will never happen as the design assumes that there is 100% of the area inbetween your bearings full of grease ... I've never seen this to be true. If you were to pump and pump till all this area was full of grease so the design would work, I guarantee you'll blow grease out the rear seal first. Then you have problems on top of problems and a lighter wallet. That 2 pump a season tip given is a placebo by some mechanics that know the flaws of the system. Two pumps give Joe Average peace of mind that he greased his bearings and at the same time doesn't put enough grease in the cavity to push it out the rear seal.
Stepping away from the podium for now ..............
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote