Thread: Artic Package
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #109
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by IAMontana

I have to laugh at keystones arctic package in my 06 3650 the put a dedicated heat register at the rear of the tanks in underbelly which consisted of bubble foil between the tanks and bottom board. The water lines to the kitchen were ran right beside the frame rail on the street side not by the heat run. and the slide floor in the living room and kitchen dinette are made of bonded paneling and Styrofoam with a lawyer of bubble foil under the carpet. If I had not known about the way these rigs or any rig with an arctic package for that matter WE WOULD HAVE FROZE UP FOR THE WINTER HERE IN IOWA! What I did to remedy this was to start in the under belly with heat pads on all tanks and I added R30 from front to rear with the bubble foil between the R30 and the bottom board.I also added bubble foil to the frame rails inside the belly all the way around the tanks. As for the water lines to the kitchen I had to make new water lines wrap them with heat tape and insulation. I had to cut out the 1 1/2 drain line that was connected from the kitchen tank to the main drain. I added a vent in to the storage area and relocated the dedicated heat line to the underbelly to the other side where the fresh water draw line is located. The slides are next on the list I will be building all new floors for those 2 floors this spring. We have made it through the winter so far on 1 1/2 100lb bottles of propane all winter and we keep the heat at about 73 are average temp outside has been single digit and below single digit at night. We also used the shrink type window plastic on all the windows and put the vent pillows in the 4 vents and closed off the air's.
And WHY would I buy a Montana if so many people say they have trouble with leaky slides? I am very dissapointed in Montana after reading this thread. On the other hand, I currently own a 33' Itasca Suncruiser Motorhome and we dont' have any problem with freezing water lines in the winter or leaky slides. It does get cold but we just suppliment our heat needs with space heaters. And yes we go through lots of propane also. Maybe I will just ignore the "Artic" package and keep on reading. I still really like Montanas but there is an obvious "built quality" issue that I have never come across other forums. I am really sad to hear all of this because I put an offer down on a 3465SA and found the financing to get it throught but now I'm just going to let it go. This level of quality will just not cut it for me.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote