View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
I wired the trailer as planned today. The most time consuming part of the job was determining what the five cable runs at the booster plate were, so that I could properly wire them to my splitter. The RG-6 on the outside of the booster plate went to the Bedroom TV. On the inside of the plate there were three cables attached. One of the cables was really two cables joined with a standard splitter. Those two cables were for the basement and living area TVs. The remaining two cables were the antenna and the cable/satellite connection. By connecting the latter two cables (with a barrel connector) to the BR or LA TV, I could see which produced a signal (the antenna) and which did not (cable/sat before the dish was inline). I was surprised to find that the BR 19" LCD TV is also HD. I'm borrowing an HD DVR from the house for it, while the living area has its own HD DVR. (The SD DVR I thought I needed for the BR will find a place at home where I occasionally exercise.)

The single wire technology is great. I've got one cable from the dish to the trailer connection. And at each of the three locations Montana has wired for TV, I've got two signals for the DVR tuners. I did not have to rewire, or add cables to Montana's original job, except for substituting the splitter for the booster plate. Later, I'll try diplexing (which Directv says cannot be done, although many have done it) to add the over the air signals to my DVRs. OTA will be important when I am outside the area covered by my local spot beam.

The 3150 is a very nice rig. We're looking forward to a shakedown trip tomorrow.

8/21/09: We had a great four days in our new rig. All systems worked perfectly and we love the floor plan. I read a few manuals and found in the Wineguard antenna manual a diagram of the wiring of the booster plate that I spent so much trial and error time to determine. It's in the manual!!! Who knew?

Bill
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote