View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We are taking delivery of an '09 3150 on Friday (8/14). I've decided to wire the unit for two satellite tuners at each of the three stations, living area, bedroom, and basement. I have Directv at home, so the new DVRs are just an extension of my home account. The bedroom TV and its HD DVR can be picked up and connected in the basement as long as there is a signal there. The other HD DVR will remain in the living area with the HD LCD.

This may get technical, but I'll try to be concise. PM if you wish more details, and remember, I won't actually have done this until next Saturday.

Directv can provide signals to multiple tuners on a single cable, utilizing SWM (single wire multi-switch) technolgy. The SWM LNB and receivers communicate with each other during setup. Each receiver/tuner is assigned a frequency. Mutiple satellite signals travel the same cable, but at different frequencies. Each receiver sees only its own signals. Thus, existing cable systems in a residence where only one cable went to each TV area in a closed loop system, can support multiple satellite receivers without requiring that separate cables be brought to each receiver from the dish or multi-switch. Additionally, a single wire can provide a signal to both tuners in a DVR. This is great for our Montanas. Previously I wired our 2955 as boje described in his post. I could do that easily again just by connecting my equipment as Montana expects me to. Unfortunately, all sets show the same programming being sent by the satellite receiver.

I will connect the SWM wire from the satellite reflector (dish) to the satellite input on the Montana. But I will leave the jumper cable connected. At the booster box, all three TV locations have cables connected. I'll remove the booster box and replace it with a splitter. I'll reconnect the lines to the three TV locations (later, I'll try a diplexer on the line from the antenna). The line to the receiver/dvd player will not be carrying an FM signal (unless I successfully diplex the line): the living area HD DVR will intercept the signal going to the Samsung receiver. I'll send video and audio to the LCD by HDMI from the DVR. I'll also send audio to the Samsung receiver by optical cable.

All these connections, beginning with the LNB and ending at the receiver, are specialized. The system will not work unless exactly the proper parts are used.

Bill

(Edited after Robbie thought Mariana knew about satellite wiring. It may be the only thing in which she lacks expertise, but there it is)
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote