View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ford did this back in the early part of 98 when they launched the "new" Superduty. They were all 99 trucks and later became dubbed 99.5 when the second run came out. Don't believe the move to the 6.4 was all motivated by emmissions.
Duramax and Cummins did not come out with a new engine to meet the new emmissions. Go back up to the link I posted above and read the real motivation. The Ford 6.0 will never go down as a successful engine. It is an engine very few people want to keep after warranty runs out. IMHO and the outspoken opinion of many people with much more engine skills than I have it is a LEMON, pure and simple.
I bought a 1995 PSD , the terrific 7.3 came out late in 94 and was and still is a winner. Ford can launch a successful new PSD, I sure hope the 6.4 enjoys a long reliable life. In most big truck areas, the word is out on the 6.0 and 2003 and 2004 model trucks are very hard to sell. Newer models are a little better but will suffer the reputation of the earlier lemons. As more of these 6.0s come off warranty and cost their owners obscene amounts of money, the word will spread and the resale value of the 6.0 will drop big time. My advice, if you can get a decent trade on your 6.0 for a new Duramax, Cummins , or 6.4 Ford..........GO FOR IT !
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote