View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 06:13 AM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
In our younger days, we use to pack like that, in anticipation of any disaster. We were often so loaded with stuff in anticipation of the inevitable happening, we barely had room to lay down on the bed.

After a few years we down-sized, and down-sized, and down-sized more and more to just the bare essentials.

I think it takes time to reach that point, but what it boils down to now is, we carry only the things we know we will use for "this" specific trip. So, sometimes there is a little bit of rotation going on. Case in point, we have a free standing, fire pit with a screen covered lid for those campgrounds or campsites we know do not have a fire ring. When we know we will be in one of these, we'll bring the fire pit. When not, we leave it at home.

Tool: It all fits comfortably into a medium size tool box. And other than a Philips and flat screw driver, a pair of plyers, a wire cutter, and my Robertson Head screw driver (the square head screw driver), and small set of socket wrenches, the other tools I carry are specific for the camper only. Like, the blow out plug for winterizing, and the weird aluminum socket for removing the electric heating coil in the water heater. A very few other miscellaneous hand tool I've actually used on the camper for one reason or another and that's it.

I have no intention of doing oil changes on my vehicle, repacking wheel bearings on the camper, or remodeling the interior either. In the event of problems along the "journey" I'll deal with that then. If it takes more than a screw driver, a pair of plyers, a tap with a hammer, or duct tape, the repair is too large and I probably can't and won't have the space or time to fix it myself anyway.

As far as leaf blowers an stuff like that, I see an advantage for bringing one along. Even an air compressor if you have bicycles or a golf cart is understandable. But in over 25 years of RV ownership, and a life time of being around RV's, I've never had to use an air compressor on any of my trailer or automobile tires when traveling. I have had tires replaced when traveling. But if they start loosing air, I'm not farting around with the tires, I'm getting new tires immediately! I quit dragging along the air compressor when the kids quit camping with us and the bicycles stayed home.

It takes time to slim down the items you actually use and end up removing the items you never use. Overkill is OK, if it works for you and you have the space. But here's my suggestion, if you are planning a long term trip, take several small ones first and keep track of those items you actually use, and seriously consider removing the items you don't use. You'll be surprised at how much "junk" you eventually leave behind.

You see this the most when you purchase your second trailer and you have to remove everything from the old one. You realize you've been dragging just around for years and never used it. Of course, if you actually use it, keep it.

I carry over 200 feet of garden hose. Sounds stupid I know. But I have use all 200 feet at least 4 times this last Summer. I carry a large amount of lumber for under the tires and jacks. I've used it all a couple times this last year on campsites that were tremendously not level. I carried an extra gallon of antifreeze for the truck because I had an engine repair earlier this year and after the repair the check coolant light kept coming on. I eventually used that entire gallon and then all of a sudden, the light quit coming one. I don't carry any extra with me any more.

We carry two quick shades, a shade for the picnic table, and a screened in tent to keep mosquitoes out. Sounds silly doesn't it. But, we've found occasion to use them all this last Summer, so they travel with us. However, the last two camps of this year, we did not use any of them. But they are still in the trailer.

We got rid of extra folding chairs and collapsible umbrella type chairs. We anticipated for years we might have guests sitting around the campfire with us. Well, the VERY few times that actually happened, our guests simply brought over their own chairs. So, we were dragging around 6 extra chairs that never got used. When we finally realized this, guess what ended up at the Goodwill store?

What I'm suggesting is, before hitting the road on your primary trip, you really should take a few week-end jaunts and chart what you REALLY need to bring along and what you can REALLY leave behind.

Having "stuff" does not make you a better camper and showing it off impresses no one. So we learned!!!! We were so "proud" of all our "junk", but eventually realized we were just fooling ourselves. No one cared.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote