View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #26
traviswayne

M.O.C. #25045
1st, hope you enjoy your new 5er. I see on a previous post (from feb) its new, and appears to have the residential fridge.

We have a 2018 high country 365bh and have camped a bit boondocking, including a couple of two week stints in colorado at altititude as well as traveling with the odd stop in truck stops, wal-marts etc getting to destinations.

A thing to consider is your fridge. Even with 2 lead acid batteries, w/o shore power you'll need to recharge the batteries every 5 hours or so if you use nothing else. If you run the heater, then it will be shorter.

In our experience, traveling in hot climate and pulling off to sleep, you'll need to run at lease one AC to cool down the rig enough to sleep in. We use the champion dual fuel (3500 watt?) and it will run one AC fine (no soft start), charging the batteries and such for about 5 hours on one tank. Pulling off around 10 p.m. and firing up the genny, this gets us to about 3 a.m. which is fine most of the time, it runs out of gas and we are cool until we wake up, then fire it up again for an hour or two to fix coffee/eat and recharge the batteries and hit the road again.

camping above 8000' feet in colorado last in july, we never have to run the AC. Had to run the heater at night most every night.

I've since added 400 amp hours of additional battery for a total of 600 amp hours, this runs the rig almost all day (no AC) with about 3 hours of generator per day to recharge. I've added a 2nd 3000 watt inverter which i simply plug the rig into, simulating "shore power" to run tv's, coffee makers, dishTv, microwave etc. (have to manage what we turn on, and turn off the on-board charger at the breaker box)

When camping in heat above about 90 degrees, one AC is going to have a hard time cooling the rig. We boondoced last year in June on the beach in South texas, temps about 90 and one AC running full time barely brought the inside temps down about 10 degrees below outside temps. By 10 p.m. it was cool enough to sleep.

hth
Travis
traviswayne is offline   Reply With Quote