Thread: tire blow out
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
I can't be certain on the Montanas', as the location of the fresh water and waste tanks are different from the SOB I used to have. With that trailer, we had the same issue and discovered it was a combination of issues. One, we traveled with the water tank full which added almost 400lbs of water in the tank which was located inside, above, and behind the right rear. Second, we were towing with the trailer in the nose high position, which placed more weight on the rear axle. Since we figured that out, we had the axles flipped( which the Montana doesn't need)to bring the trailer level, and, unless we are boondocking, we travel with a minimum amount of water in the fresh water tank. We've experienced no further problems since making those changes.

Although I believe the fresh water tank in the Montana is located between the frame rails, I'm pretty sure it is behind the rear axle. If you travel long distances, 60 gallons of water equates to almost 500 lbs at the rear of the rig which would put a considerable load on the rear tires. If you aren't running with a full tank, there may be an alignment problem with that axle, but that wouldn't fully explain why only the right rear seems to have the problem.

Good Luck
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote