Thread: 377FL
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome and congrats on your new purchase.

We have the 375FL model, which is almost the same as yours, except it does not have the loft. Basically, it's about the same floor plan with some minor differences. With that said, let me give you a BIG piece of advise...

Before you take your first journey, take the time to reinforce that rear closet. The shelf is lightly stapled into the Luna board, and behind that is nothing but Styrofoam. And the entire shelf is being supported by only about 4 staples (I am not kidding).....

On our maiden voyage, from central Indiana to Northern Kentucky, the closet shelf collapsed, and of course, the cloths bar rod is supported by the shelf. I ended up getting bathroom shower curtain spring loaded rods and inserted 4 of them under the shelf, on both sides, and used a few screws to hold it in place. It was enough to make it back home.

The shower curtain rods actually held the shelf up for a few months, until the cloths bar itself started bending. There's no support right in the middle. And about that same time, one of the shower curtain rods collapsed, and... the shelf fell again.

So, this time I used lumber and ran a support along both walls on each end of the shelf all the way to the bottom of the closet, so now the shelf actually rested on the wooden supports.

I also used a couple tubes of Liquid Nails, instead of using nails, which were worthless going into Styrofoam. And then I ran another support from the floor of the closet to the cloths rod, and then up to the shelf, supporting the cloths rod and the shelf directly in the middle. I sanded the wooden parts with 220 grit sand paper, then used Thompson Water Treatment for outside decks as a finish, instead of stain or varnish.

Well, the closet now has a divider in the middle, but it's not fallen since. It's now supported form the floor of the closet to the bottom of the shelf with 3 boards: 1x12 inch.

The back end of your camper will experience a tremendous amount of bounce and stress, bouncing up and down. Add the weight of cloths hanging from the cloths bar, also bouncing up and down. What doesn't jump off the cloths bar and end up on the floor, will be too much weight and the added stress WILL break that shelf, leaving you feeling helpless when you are 200 miles from home!

And oh.... if you take it back for warranty work, they'll just staple it back to the Styrofoam wall. (like they did mine),..... and it will fall again.

So, before you hit the road the very first time, re-inforce that closet any way you can. Get extra supports under it, against each wall. And a support directly in the middle.

The second problem we had was actually keeping clothes on the cloths bar. But that's another story.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote