View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 05:23 AM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharrisv65 View Post
Yes, that's going to be my next check I'll do, thank you for mentioning it because I was thinking something along those lines. I can access that area, it will require taking the panel off the backside but it's in my basement so it should not be a problem to get to it.

If anyone has a similar setup, I have a ton of storage underneath and it WAS all open until today, I've been installing "paneling" to close off the separate compartments which were just open with the aluminum bracing. To me, it gives the basement a more "finished" look and you don't lose any storage. And since I'm doing this project, removing the panels enclosing the WH shouldn't be a problem. Again, a BIG THANKS!
That junction box could very well be your problem. Several years ago while on a trip we smelled plastic burning. Also went to take a shower and there was no hot water. I followed my nose which led me to that junction box. All the wires relays wire nuts everything inside that box was burnt to a crisp. Don't know how we didn't catch on fire.
If you ask me it's a horrible design so I changed it. I rewired it and pulled a new wire to the bedroom with 120 volt switch for the water heater. No more 12 volt relay
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote