View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #86
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We travel a lot and most of our camping is in State Parks. We have been on campsites over and over again where the front to back slope of the campsite resulted in some pretty creative set up situations over the last 25 years of RV ownership.

When we purchased our High Country 375FL, we ran into some situations immediately that we didn't experience with shorter travel trailers. Namely, the slope of the camp site doesn't have to be very much for the distance from the bottom of the camper to the ground can be a few inches on the front to almost 3 feet on the back. Add to that a campsite that has drop off edges at the edge of the pad, and it creates some very interesting situaitons for the Moyride style steps, namely, they simply aren't long enough to reach the ground, even with blocks built up under the feet (if you don't have enough lumber or Lego blocks.)

Here's an example of one such campsite this last Summer where this happened. Yes, that is a 4 foot ladder at the rear of the camper.

Our MHC 375FL has a front and back door on opposite sides of the 5er. The back door is in the hall between the kitchen and rear bed room, opposite the bathroom door, closer to the back. When the situation is so unlevel front to back, our only option was to leave the back steps up. But they also block that hallway some. To lower them, would mean leaving them just dangling in the air.

I contacted Moyride and asked them about foot extensions, and yes they have them which adds about 6 more inches of height on a slope. This is now making that first step pretty high to step on. I built a wooden box step for just that purpose. But then we ran into a situation where even the box step was not enough and the Moyride extension was just not long enough.

I came up with a different way to use both the original feet with the new purchased step extensions. Granted, the first step is pretty much unusable as it off the ground a good 2.5 feet and I don't have any other steps to make up the 2.5 feet. But at least, the steps are NOT dangling in the air or are they blocking the hall way being left retracted in the door:

Again, this only supported the step from dangling in mid air causing stress on all the screws holding it to the floor. But this did solve the problem. Nice thing is, with all the holes in the step feet extensions, it can be adjusted pretty long.

On the other hand, the front door on the opposite side was too low, and I had to dig a hole in the dirt for the steps feet to go into. Actually, I removed the feet completely, and still had to dig a small hole for the steps to rest in.

This is the only down-side I've found to this style of step. The nice thing is, before backing into your campsite, if the campsite pad is concrete or asphalt, you've got to figure out how to best position the camper to make the steps work. That's key to everything.

FYI, regardless of this little challenge, which I've learned to overcome, I like these steps much, much better than any of the traditional fold up steps on trailers we've had in the past.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote