View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
There are two ways to go in that scenario Scott. The stock converter/charger can be used if one is ok running a less than 100% capacity for the life of the batteries. So that $995 BB that is listed as a 100AH battery becomes say a 75-85AH battery because the PD does not have a charge profile with a high enough bulk charging voltage to bring the battery back to the 100% SOC voltage. The batteries will actually last longer in this scenario because of the charging pattern and the fact that LiFePO4 batteries do not need to be charged to 100% like PbSO4.
The option I would choose would be to either upgrade via PS to their lithium compatible version converter/charger
Of course you can always ditch them Bothell and install an inverter / charger and not even use the converter at all but I know that wasn’t your question
Thanks, I'll factor the cost of a new converter (if I don't have the Li option) into the cost of switching to lithium batteries.

When I need the batteries the most (dry camping) I guess my solar panels and Victron 100/50 would be working towards the 100% point.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote