View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Many states have requirements that are based on the gross weight ratings of the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle. Virtually all (I hesitate being all inclusive) states accept the requirements/endorsements of other states (regardless of what the LEO or HP says when you are stopped).

In this time of reduced revenues, though, states are looking for reasons to pad their coffers. Not for that reason alone, I would make sure I met the minimum requirements and consider going a step beyond them. The test aren't difficult, the costs aren't staggering, the experience is always worthwhile, and the reduced stress when you're talking to that LEO is comforting.

In Nevada, a class B lets me drive a vehicle over 26,000 lb and pull a trailer up to 10,000 lb. A Class J endorsement qualifies me to pull more than 10,000 lb. A class A combines the B & J, and specifically references tractor-trailer combinations (such as I drive), and is usually easier for LEOs HP to identify. (You may have noticed that I try to reduce the level of conflict between me and the law to a minimum. There are enough other things to be concerned about.)

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote