View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Fire! Fire! Fire! Oh never mind, false alarm….

I got a service call to check out a smoke detector that had awakened a lady at 3:00 a.m.
After her calling the fire department, asking her daughter to come over, and no one finding anything wrong, it was my turn the next day.
I checked the furnace, water heater, gas fireplace and all was good. I even performed a CO check for her. A reading of up to 50 parts per million is allowable, anything over that is a problem. Her home reading was 00.
I have researched smoke detectors and will share some information with you.
If you have 120 volt hard-wired smoke detectors in your home, if one alarms, the rest will follow suit. The initial detector will flash a red light in most cases, the rest, no red light. There are two different types of detection devices in detectors, rather complex, but they ‘see’ combustion particles, smoke.
Now here is where maintenance comes in. If Mr. spider or another multi-legged varmint enters the detection area, it will alarm. If dust and dirt accumulated in the detectors detection chamber, or area, it will alarm.
They will all alarm… As luck would have it many times, at the worst possible times. Oh, the maintenance.
Just take your keyboard cleaner, the compressed air can and blow it out real good. 120 volt or 9 volt units alike. Your trailer will have these.
7 to 9 years is about it for them, if you have detectors getting a little ‘Long in the tooth’ discard them.
I would add a CO detector to the mix if I were you.
Sleep tight!

CO: Carbon Monoxide, not to be confused with Carbon Dioxide, that’s pressurizing your Draft beer, or Colas.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote