View Single Post
Old 08-02-2022, 01:57 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have finally reached Nirvana!

As a follow up to this post: https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=86336

I have finally reached Nirvana! Yep, my campground host gig has finally become reality! For the entire month of August, my wife and I are campground hosts at Pilot Mountain State Park, in North Carolina.

We arrived August 1. Prior to that we spent 7 nights at Brown County State Park (Indiana), and then Sunday night (July 31) at Fox Fire (Milton, West Virginia) KOA, and then drove on to Pilot Mountain State Park on August 1.

We arrived about about 1:15 pm, checked in at the park office, got settled in on the camp host site and then met with the Park Manager at 3:00 pm for an orientation to our duties and responsibilities as a campground host. I had a lot of questions and he gave us a lot of information. When everything was said and done, I was really overwhelmed. but excited as can possibly.

My wife and I went for a 3 mile walk, around the campground and along the main road to begin to familiarize ourselves with everything.

This morning (Tuesday), got up and hit the job running. What a great day! What a nice State Park. Everyone we encountered was super friendly, helpful, and excited we were here.

So, the dream I've carried for about the last 15 years finally happened and I couldn't be happier, even if I were a flea buried under the coat of a Saint Bernard in the middle of winter!

Now, a word about Pilot Mountain State Park. My wife pointed out to me that we are really in a very "special" and "unique" position right now, and we are experiencing something that a lot of people never will. In fact, if we were not campground hosts, we would never come to this camp at this state park. Why?

Because this campground is 100% primitive camping there is no electricity, no dump stations, and common water spigots through the camp site area. There are 2 modern shower/bath houses with modern bathrooms. No pit toilets. There are 2 sites that would accommodate a 40 foot camper (no hook-ups at all), and generators are permitted until 11 PM. Quiet hours are 11 pm to 7 am.

The only exception is the site designed for the campground host, which does have full hook-ups. Considering we do not boom dock and we always camp where there is at least electric on site, this is a state park we would have never, ever camped at. So, that's why I say, this is really unique opportunity for us ... and we get it for the entire month! Wow!

Now, because there is no electricity on the the sites, that means ... yep ... you already know where this is going ... don't you!...... this means there are no Las Vegas lights at night blaring across the campground, blinding every campfire in the park. And oh my goodness, was it dark last night! So wonderful!

We are not turning on our outside lights after dark at all, unless we are actually walking in or out of the camper. Beside the front door is an electric panel for the camp site. The park installed a small motion sensor light right there that stay lit for about 3 minutes and then goes dark again if there is no motion. And that's perfect!

So, my complaining and belly-aching about light pollution at night can be silenced for the next 30 days. And when returning back to RV style campgrounds, I suppose I'll be complaining and belly-aching again, and again, and again how utterly non-sensical it is to have lights at night that resemble a gigantic Christmas Tree on the Las Vegas strip or one gigantic night club or disco dance hall ball!

And, it's so darn quiet here too, it's awesome! And oh yea ... I get to use the "Bobcat" ... 4 wheeler thing sitting there too!

Nirvana! Oh yes! My dream is now reality! How wonderful it is to be able to spend my retirement in a place like this ... well ... at least 1 month of retirement!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote