View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

moutard2 My Canadian friends LOVE their health care, but we don't know much about it. How do you feel about it? Could you tell us a little about your health care?
Lynwood
I'm anything but an authority on the subject as we kind of take medical coverage for granted. Aren't we fortunate to be able to do that! Here's a link to a brochure covering the health plan offered by this particular province.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/info...p-brochure.pdf

In my case, the family premium I pay is about $120 a month and for that we get pretty well everything EXCEPT prescription medication. If you're hospitalized, medication, etc. is fully covered though. Most companies offer a drug and/or dental plan at a nominal cost but for those of us without such coverage, we can buy it privately but the cost is relatively high and the coverage pays about 70 to 80% of the drug cost.

When we travel out of the country, most of us buy extra insurance because the provincial plan only covers to certain minimum limits and US hospital and physician care would eat that up in no time. I pay $1200 for my wife and myself for excellent out of country coverage but it only covers a specific trip for a specific number of days (in excess of 23). In my case I specified the trip duration at 135 days which gets me into the sun for the winter. For $99 I have a policy which covers any number of trips out of the country for up 23 days.

The biggest complaints I hear about our medical system all seem to be about wait times for elective and non-elective surgeries. The system has been good to us.

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote