View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Exhaust Brake - brake lights

I have a manual transmission so it was easy to get the Jacobs Exhaust break installed on RED (Tow Vehicle).
I use it heavily even when not towing. I have had a couple "almost" tailenders because the one behind me was not paying "close" attention. Yes, there WAS no indication I was drastically (compared to just releasing the throttle) slowing down. That has been corrected.
I purchased the Fire and Ice 60" LED Light Bar and installed it on RED, under the tailgate but above the bumper. I modified the wiring a little. The "running lights" on the bar is wired to the exhaust break solenoid instead of the parking lights. When the exhaust break switches on or off the lights do the same. The turn, brake and backup lights are wired normal.
I intend on running control wires to the back of MONTY and installing a "LED Light Bar" back there too wired the same way. The only down side is the base of the LED bar is black.
I do not like the black on the fiberglass under the license plate but do not know how else to do it.
Cheers,
EDIT: I found the brake lights are back feeding the exhaust brake solinoid so I will have to install a DIODE near the solinoid to prevent the brake lights from keeping the exhaust brake powered when it should be off.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote