Thread: Suspensions
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #42
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
A given few on the MOC beat the drum and crash the cymbals on their personal ideals of what works best on our RV's. Some MOC members (including me) are well known for their take on various issues including IS verses spring and shackle. I will agree IS is an addition that makes a difference. But ... attempt not to word your response like it is the only answer and any other money spent like springs, X-Factor, LRE-4000, EZ Flex, Equa-flex, or wet bolts is just throw away. Some owners that pull their RV are their own main cause of how the unit rides down the road. I know of a couple of guys that hook up and head out to a destination HAMMER DOWN ... bad roads, curbs, guard poles, debris on the highway, or whatever else is of no concern till they unhook while the RV is "still panting" and find a shackle bolt or spring broken. The immediate conclusion ... "bad design". Anyways ... I could envision a cup still sitting on a countertop after a pull no matter what suspension the RV is sitting on and there's nothing sarcastic about that. Currently yielding the floor and stepping away from the podium.

Talking to a reputable RV repair here locally, his take on suspensions was short of the IS ,the LRE MorRyde was as good as it gets. I can't disagree . My previous Montana had the LRE ,and in 12 years ,not an issue. Yes I did some things to it. My present fifth wheel has had a couple things done to the suspension, not too the extent I did on the old Montana.

I suppose if we did a survey, the percentage of upgrade to the IS is going to be pretty small, as well as the problems people have with the conventional suspension, small percentage. Doesn't change the fact of someone having issues ,and wanting to avoid further problems. I do not belong to that group. Over the past 50 years towing a variety of trailers , I have yet to have a failure, so my money goes elsewhere ,not in upgraded suspension . Actually the most money I have ever spent ,was a wet bolt kit for my previous Montana fifth wheel, and IMO the best money I have ever spent on the suspension .

I have been fortunate, I have fabricated many things ,being in the steel fabrication business for over 42 years . I understand bracing, welding etc. I fabricated the X-factor style bracing, it was scrap pieces from where I worked As well as the Steadfast style stabilizers. Its not a big deal being able to gusset the spring hangers ,frame etc.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote