View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
We have traveled back and forth for years with our dog. While some border agents will ask if the dog has current shots I have only ever been asked once to produce the rabies documents. Up to date rabies shots are required crossing into Canada as they are crossing into the US. I carry my dogs documents with our passports in the truck.

I have never had a problem with dog food returning to Canada, but on two occasions when the dog food was not in it's original container I was required to dump it out into a container crossing into the US. We are not always asked about the dog food entering the US, but it happens often enough that I put the original bag into a plastic tub so it can be identified.

We travel to Arizona in the winter and I take sufficient dog food for the time we are going to be away. The brand is made in the US but if it is not in it's original bag they can/will require you to dump it out depending on which side of the bed the agent got up on that particular day. US citizens would face this issue returning should they purchase dog food manufactured in Canada that contains certain products.

Easy solution, just take extra along with you, leave it in it's original bag and you should have no problems.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote