View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder View Post
I went to let the back jacks down today thinking one of my assistants had raised the Step Above steps, no they forgot. Now the non hinge side is too high to close the door. Anyone straightened these steps? Ideas?

Whether it is fixable (or not) may depend on how badly the threshold portion of your "step above" steps are bent. A pic of the damage would help to guide you, but in general here is what I've done to help a few who have done the same thing. Place a thickness of metal or wood UNDER the portion between the hinge and the outside turndown of the step, which I shall refer to as the threshold portion of the steps. Using a technique of applying gentle downward pressure created by lowering the steps and simultaneous use of a dead blow hammer, you may be able to coax the metal back into shape. Be careful not to leverage the hinge screws out of the floor. A best practice of never activating the front landing legs or moving the camper forward or back, while the steps are down is advised for anyone who has the steps that fold up into the door space. Never assume someone has secured the steps, check for yourself (I know you NOW know this, but just saying it for other's benefit).
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote