View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Getaway View Post
This was interesting as my wife and I have just ordered a new 2020 Montana 3761FL and now we are in the market for a truck. The 5th wheel is 41 feet long and we would like to get a 1 ton diesel, 6.5 foot bed and prefer an SRW so that we have a more user friendly truck to drive around when the trailer is parked. We are thinking a GM 3500 (GMC or Chevrolet), RAM 3500, or a F350. I am concerned about safety in driving in high winds, bad weather, etc. but I am told that the 2019 and 2020 trucks by GM, Ford, and Chrysler that are SRW have increased the towing capacity can handle the loads. Any opinions out there?
JJ, first, welcome aboard, you've ordered a very nice 5er. I'm sure others will chime in but for the tow vehicle it's all about the numbers. To start you will need to work with the GVRW for your new 5er and calculate 25% of that as loaded pin weight. Most newer diesel trucks can tow the weight but do they have the payload rating to handle the pin weight in addition to the people and other items loaded into the truck...including the hitch?

The best source for actual truck specs is on the sticker inside the door. Since you haven't bought one yet I would look at spec sheets to see which type of truck gets you closest to the required weight rating.

Your 5er has a GVWR of nearly 17K lbs and a loaded pin weight of around 4K lbs. That's your starting point. Add to that people and stuff in the truck. Which trucks will safely handle that? My guess is that you are in the dually arena.

Again, it's all about the numbers. In the theme of this thread you should drive whatever truck you like...but safety for your family and others on the road should be first and will limit those choices accordingly.

Good luck with the TV search.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote